I am sure it wasn’t long after the first window was invented that someone came along and decorated it. There have been a lot of new ways to beautify and utilize windows. Windows can be one of the best places in a house to present your design cues and make a statement. The trend towards window perfection continues and there are more ways than ever to accessorize a room.
- Go Natural: Natural fabrics have been very popular lately. Woven materials and linens give that organic feel, and the subtle tones are often compatible with multiple colour options. Blinds, curtains, shutters, awnings, are all popping up with natural options. There is also a move toward saturated curtain colours. This is not a conflict, however, play the elements together and find the complimentary note.
- Metal Blinds: Those of us who grew up in the seventies have no nostalgia for the old metal blinds, particularly those in beige. But everything old is new again. Metal blinds are back, but now at least with some variety in slat sizes and closure functions. At least they are easier to clean than the fabric ones.
- Lighter Shades of Pale. Shade and curtain combinations are very popular right now. Especially in light gauzy fabrics that allow just enough light, but keep your space as private as you prefer. Shades can be custom fit to the interior of your window space like blinds, but with a more delicate presence. Roman blinds have been popular, and the trend will continue into 21.
- Tinted Vision: There are quite a few people making the move to tinted windows, and or adding tint to the windows already installed. Primarily the motivation is energy consciousness. Certain tints can reduce the amount of UV light entering your home, saving you money on heating bills. But there is more to it. Changing the colour of your windows can add a modern effect to your home as viewed from outside. And if you have a particularly sunny exposure, a little bit of tint can help improve an otherwise uncomfortable space.
- International Velvet: Velvet curtains are back, and they are as luxurious as ever. They are best in rich saturated colours, so not for everybody’s taste. But done right, they are a guilty pleasure that begs to be touched.
The windows to your world should always be beautiful. Fortunately, there are always new ways to accessorise each room. Don’t be afraid to try new things, you might start a trend of your own. It’s all been tried before, but you never know when something is coming back.